Monday, March 24, 2008

Mini Vacation

I titled this post "Mini Vacation" because we were only gone one night, however, if you could have seen our car you would have thought we were leaving for a month. I guess that's what happens when you travel with a baby and all his extremely important belongings. On Friday we headed down to San Antonio to spend the night with Kevin's family and meet my family on the Riverwalk. The drive usually takes around 3 1/2 hours but of course we managed to stretch it into a six hour trip. Around the half way mark Joshua woke up and encouraged us to stop and eat. So we grabbed some sandwiches and headed off the highway to ----- State Park. We had lunch at the picnic tables and then Josh went on his first swing ride, to which he responded with a big emotionless expression. Kevin also took him down the slide, to which he had the same response. I guess our son is just too mature and advanced to enjoy such childish games... or he is just too young to have any clue as to what was happening!

Afterwards we went down to the river and took a nature walk through the trails. We stayed at the park for over 2 hours before hitting the road again. It definitely made me realize we need to take more advantage of the parks in Texas and start our camping time once again.

That night in San Antonio we stayed with Kevin's Great Aunt and Uncle, who pampered us like crazy. They took us to dinner, then took care of Josh while Kevin and I went out to the movies. Their daughter and granddaughter came over to help watch Josh as well, and it was so much fun spending time with them. For five years since joining the Kennedy family I've seen and met so many people but this little trip was such a great opportunity to actually spend some time getting to know them.

On Saturday we met my cousins, who are from Arizona, down at the Riverwalk. I'm not sure Josh appreciated the Alamo or the informative River boat tour as much as we did, but he had a great time hanging out in cousin Rob's arms! It really was a marvelous mini-vacation!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm glad ya'll had fun! Wish we could go camping with you!!

Cousin Dawn said...

I am Louis and Christyne's daughter Dawn. I just wanted to say how much we enjoyed visiting with Misty and Kevin; and most important Baby Joshua. While Mom and Dad went to the movies, my daughter (Emily) and I had the pleasure of playing with Josh; bathing him and putting him to bed. I have to say he is the easiest baby I've ever cared for, including my own. He went to sleep only minutes after I put him in his crib. It was so fast, I was concerned and kept going in to check on him - but he was out cold. I hope this precious family (they are my favorite Republicans) will come to visit again soon!